Beef Recipes: Beef and Mushroom Casserole / Stew Recipe
- 1 cup red wine - we used Cabernet Merlot
- 4 chopped large roma tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 3-4 rashers bacon - chopped - fat removed
- 1 large onion - finely chopped
- 750g diced beef
- 2 cloves garlic - crushed
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp of lemon juice
- Lightly brown bacon and onion in olive oil and the lemon juice and add to casserole dish.
- Using same pan, seal and brown beef, and add to casserole dish.
- Gently fry garlic in same pan, then add flour, red wine, tomato paste and tomatoes to form a sauce.
- When sauce bubbles and thickens, add to casserole dish.
- Cook at 170 degrees Celsius for 25 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and thyme and cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Serve with crispy green beans, and mashed or scalloped potato.
We picked our Margaret River 2004 Cabernet Merlot - the full fruit flavours, earthy overtones, and lovely soft velvety finish from the Merlot make this a perfect food-wine match. You could also try our Riverland Merlot Cabernet for a bargain option, or a straight Cabernet Sauvignon such as our Coonawarra 2008 Cabernet.