Bread and Butter Pudding
Dessert Recipes: Bread and Butter Pudding Recipe
- 4 slices white bread with crusts removed
- unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup sultanas and/or currants soaked in brandy
- 200 ml cream
- 300 ml milk
- 1 vanilla pod, split or half teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- Butter the bread thickly with the unsalted butter.
- Put in a buttered oven-proof dish, (buttered side up).
- Scatter the sultanas over.
- Heat (but don't boil) the milk and cream and then add the vanilla pod. Leave to stand for 10-15 mins. If using vanilla extract, add at this point.
- Beat the eggs with the sugar and pour the milk mixture over the eggs. Mix well to combine.
- Pour this over the bread and sultanas, sprinkle the mixed spice over the top and bake in a water bath at 180 degrees until set (approx 30 min).
- When set, remove from the oven and the water bath and serve with tinned or stewed fruit.
Our Favourite Wine Match:
This classic dessert went perfectly with Griffith Frontignac. Fresh, excellent balance, fruity, with long dry licorice flavours. Strongly perfumed and extremely fragrant. You could also try another of our delicious Sweet Wines.