Rice Recipes: Risotto with Asparagus Recipe
A delicious risotto recipe with the freshness of asparagus and bite of parmesan - perfect for a spring meal. Delicious with a glass of Barossa Valley 2009 Riesling, or another dry white wine. See our suggested wine matches.
- 500g fresh slender asparagus spears
- 2 cups water
- ½ tspn salt
- ½ tspn sugar
- 2 cups/500ml strong chicken stock
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 2 tblspns extra light olive oil
- 90g butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tblspns chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- Snap off woody ends of asparagus. Wash and cut into 2cm lengths, setting tips aside.
- Bring 2 cups of water to the boil in saucepan.
- Add salt, sugar and asparagus, return to boil and cook, uncovered, for 4 minutes. Add tips and cook 1 minute further.
- Drain cooking water through sieve or colander into jug. Rinse asparagus under cold water and set aside.
- Top up cooking water in jug to 2 cups and return to saucepan. Add chicken stock and simmer slowly, partly covered, over low heat.
- Heat oil and two-thirds of butter in large heavy pan. Add onion and cook gently until transparent, about 10 minutes.
- Add rice and stir over low heat for 3-4 minutes. Stir in half the simmering stock, cover and simmer over low heat for 12 minutes.
- Add remaining stock and asparagus, stir gently, cover and simmer a further 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover and let stand 2-3 minutes. Add remaining butter, pepper to taste, parsley and parmesan, and mix gently through the rice with a fork. Serve immediately.
Our Favourite Wine Match:
We picked our Barossa Valley 2009 Riesling - ripe, zesty fruit aromas, fresh lime flavours, tangy acidity and crisp dry finish make this a perfect food-wine match. You could also try our other white wines.