Armenian Walnut Cake
Armenian Nutmeg Cake Recipe
Dessert Recipes: Armenian Nutmeg Cake
A spicy cake that brings out the beauty of nutmeg as a key flavour, with a hard, sugary base and walnuts on top. Rich and best served with fresh cream, we enjoyed this with a glass or two of King Valley 2006 Dolcetto Syrah, a fruity red, with aromas of fresh berries and flavours of natural grape sweetness. Ot maybe try one of our other Sweet Dessert Wines.
2 cups (310g) brown sugar
2 cups (250g) self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 cup (250ml) orange juice
2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 cup (125g) chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 190C. Grease and paper line a 23cm square cake tin.
2. Sift the brown sugar and flour together into a large bowl. Rub in butter with your fingertips until the mix resembles fine bread crumbs. Spread of half this mix over the base of tin, pushing down with fingers to get it right into the corners.
3. In a separate bowl, dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in the orange juice then add the egg and nutmeg. Combine this with the remaining crumb mix and mix well.
4. Pour the contents of the bowl over the crumb mixture already in the cake tin. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts.
5. Bake for 50-55 minutes. Allow to cool in tin before turning out.
We picked our King Valley 2006 Dolcetto Syrah, with flavours of natural grape sweetness, served chilled. You may also like our Light Fruity Red, with its hint of "fizz" and a light, semi-sweet palate, or any of our delicious sweet dessert wines.