Beef & Okra Casserole
Beef Recipes: Beef & Okra Casserole with Pilaffi Recipe
1kg chuck steak cut into large cubes
- 1 pkt frozen or tinned okra
- large onion finely diced
- 3-5 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large eggplant, cubed
- 2 red capsicums, seeded and cubed
- 2 carrots, cubed
- centre of celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 bottle of cleanskins.com Shiraz or Cabernet
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 large tin crushed tomatoes
- 500g jasmine rice
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cummin
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 lemon juice and zest (pith)
- salt and pepper
- 1 litre hot boiling water
- fresh mint
- Assemble and prepare all ingredients.
- Heat the oil in a heavy based casserole pot.
- Add chuck steak and cook until browned, i.e. until all liquid has evaporated.
- Add onions, peppers, garlic and keep mixing until onion is soft.
- Add tomato pate and mix for a minute or so.
- Add eggplant and mix until all vegies are covered with tomato.
- Mix and deglaze with cleanskins.com wine.
- Stir pot well.
- Add tomatoes, cloves, and bay leaves.
- Add 1 cup of water.
- When casserole comes to the boil, reduced heat and simmer for 1 - 1 and a 1/2 hours or when meat falls apart.
- Add okra, salt and pepper, leave simmering for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat oil, add onion, and fry until soft.
- Add rice and spies, mix thoroughly.
- Add lemon juice and zest and keep mixing, deglaze with boiling water.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to moderate-slow.
- Place light lid on pot.
- Cooking time approx 15-20 minutes or until water has absorbed
Serve with minted yoghurt: simply add fresh chopped mint to plain yoghurt, garlic optional.
Thanks to Martha, North Fitzroy, Victoria.
With this delicous meal, we enjoyed a glasse or two of Limestone Coast 2008 Shiraz - a well-aged South Australian Shiraz with fresh ripe fruit notes, and soft, lingering flavours. Also suggested is our Limestone Coast 2006 Sangiovese, a medium-bodied red wine with hints of cherry and a dry finish. You may also like to choose from our other red wines.